Layering is a Beautiful Decorating Strategy
We think of layering when we decide what to wear – putting on a shirt over a camisole, then adding a scarf and necklace. Layering for your home is similar; it adds richness and depth, and keeps your home warm in feeling and mood. There are so many surfaces you can layer in your home.
Add Layers to Your:
- Walls with wainscoting, stenciling, wall coverings, wallpaper and crown moldings
- Window coverings by pairing soft window treatments including drapery with Hunter Douglas blinds and shades
- Bed with layers of sheets, blankets, custom duvets, custom comforters, custom throws, custom pillows and more, using fabrics from Carole, Robert Allen, Kravet, Duralee, Trend, Thibaut and many others.
- Furniture with slip covers, embellished pillows, upholstery and cuddly throws
- Lighting by combining functional task lighting with interesting lamps, chandeliers, wall sconces, spotlights and even candles
- Dining table with tablecloths, runners, place mats, chargers and dishware
- Floors with rugs and carpets over hard wood, tile and stone flooring
Layers can be achieved with color, by using multiple shades within the same color family or by using complementary colors, such as deep red accents in a sage green décor. Think of color layering during the holidays too, with accents in gold, silver, red and green, or blue and silver.
You can also layer with patterns, using several patterns in a decorating scheme or using the same pattern in slightly different colors or a different scale. Just be careful with too many patterns, so you don’t create chaos! Consider layering with textures too, combining soft rich fabrics with crisp, clean linen and even tweedy, rough wools.
Think multidimensional about your rooms this summer, and add a little layering for depth and engagement.
Interior Design in Westfield NJ
Innovative Window Treatments offers free in-home consultations to the areas of Summit, Westfield, Chatham, Short Hills, Cranford, Scotch Plains, Springfield, Princeton, West Windsor, and Cranbury NJ as well as all of Monmouth County and parts of the Jersey Shore. With a full line of quality window fashions and professional measuring, installation, and motorization services, we can meet any window covering need. Contact us today for more details!